Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

chibichiii
    Participant

So first things first, here is the url of the website I’m talking about: https://merlinsmythandmagic.net/news/

As you can see on the website the images shown next to the videos are very grainy and very poor quality. The shortcode I used here is a masonry template with a Flickr source. However I believe instead of adjusting the images, the shortcode upscales the square thumbnails from Flickr. Which is why they become grainy and very ugly.

I have tried the other shortcode templates with small square and square which are working just fine. But these indeed only show very small square thumbnails.

Just for clarification I am using the gallery shortcode, not the gallery widget.

Could you please look into this for me?

Thanks in advance!

chibichiii
    Participant

Alright so this one I managed to solve. By adding a size=”medium500″ to the shortcode attributes the images are now loaded properly and no longer grainy.

However a small piece of advice as this was slightly confusing, perhaps it would be better to add the “size” choice under the source choice. Instead of on a seperate tab which can easily be overseen. Or a notation in the shortcode generator not to forget to set the size?

Just a little advice, Anyway this problem is solved.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by chibichiii.

Intense Visions
    Keymaster

Hello!

Thanks for letting us know. We will add some instructions making sure to point out to set the size on the other tab.

Great catch.

Just a little information on this. When we pull images from Flickr, we try to match the size chosen (in the shortcode dialog) to the closest size that is available from Flickr (or other photo source). Because no size was picked in the shortcode, the smallest image size was likely the one being sent back from Flickr.

We’re glad you got it figured out.

chibichiii
    Participant

Hey there!

That would be great, you’re right that the images from 75 by 75px were probably sent back from Flickr and these were than resized by the template. My php knowledge is still pretty basic so I couldn’t say for sure but that is what it looked like. Once I entered the size in the shortcode which fitted with Flickr it was working fine.

It would be useful to mention which sizes are for which image source though. Because for example when I picked the normal “medium” size it didn’t work. It still only got the small thumbnails and resized them. So you really need to choose the small320, medium500 or large1024.

You could ofcourse also make it so that the wrong sizes cannot be picked once the source Flickr has been chosen. Like greying them out for example. Just a little more information I thought would be usefull.

I’m glad it worked out though cause that shortcode is going to safe me another plugin necessity or perhaps even two when you guys have looked into the implementation of Flickr Collections.

Best Regards

Chi

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.